Carpet types – Helping with the confusionMarch 6, 2020
When it comes to choosing a carpet for your home it can be a little bit daunting as there are so many options. Here at Global Floors we have defined some of the fibers available and the pros and cons, to help you make a more informed decision.
- Solution Dyed Nylon (SDN) carpet means that the color is completely through the fiber, not just on the surface making it more resistant to fading or color bleeding and does not stain easily. Nylon also has the ability to rise again after being compacted.
- Polyester carpet is a fiber that repels liquid therefore making it more stain resistant. Solution dying the polyester (SDP) increases its resistance to stain and fading.
Nylon therefore is more hard wearing in high traffic areas but if you are budget conscious polyester carpet is definitely a great option.
- PET polyester carpet is made from recycled plastic there making it extremely environmentally friendly. It is soft and hard wearing.
- Polypropylene (Olefin) carpet is a budget friendly option which is stain and fade resistant. it is easy to clean and maintain. This carpet resists most stains except oil based ones.
- Wool carpet is free of toxins and chemical and does not show dirt as much as the man made fibers. Wool carpet is less stain resistant as it tends to absorb liquid but it is a natural fiber that keeps its color well and resists compacting or crushing. It is also an environmentally friendly product.
Hope this has helped you make a decision. If you have any questions please contact us as we are the specialists in flooring.